Sunday, May 25, 2008

Roses, Rozella and Rabbits



The irises and peonies have about finished their spectacular bloom season. The roses and clematis are now taking their turn to shine. Last evening the late-day sun practically caused the roses to glow. The old-fashioned red climbing roses and the red Knockout shrub rose are in peak bloom, accented by blue spikes of salvia blooms. They are in the same bed as the new Rozella peony that I purchased two years ago. Its bloom season is starting as the others finish, and the big pink blossoms hold up to the rains. The Josephs Coat rose adds a lovely contrast to the reds and pinks with its orange, rose and yellow blossoms.

Last night I mowed the lawn and conquered my fears enough to ride the lawnmower in the ditch. However, I scared a small rabbit who ran into the road and barely missed an encounter with a car. Large rabbits (relatives perhaps) were in evidence in the back where the lawn was mostly blooming clover. They would run a few feet when I got near but they seemed to be practically fearless. They will probably exact revenge on my gardens for taking out some of their food source.

No comments: