Thursday, May 29, 2008

Diggin' It

Life is a garden, dig it! -David Spade as Joe Dirt.

Today was a lovely day for gardening in the Ozarks. I started with cleaning out one of the rose beds and expanding the perimeter, enough so in one direction that I think I have room for the two new peonies that I ordered for fall pickup. Dark orange asiatic lilies complement the Rio Samba multi-colored rose in that bed. Then I tackled the new shade bed where I put the coneflowers that sis gave me yesterday, the foxgloves dug from my parents yesterday, plus impatiens and begonias that had been waiting in pots since last weekend. The problem with pilfered plants is that they must go back into the ground. I cleaned out the rose and iris bed, then expanded it enough to put in the iris and peony plants that I pilfered yesterday. Finally, I planted the acanthus that I bought at the Farmer's Market on Saturday. It is a perennial whose foliage looks like a thistle and sports pretty purple or blue blooms. I've admired that plant on the Fayetteville Square and am excited to welcome it to my garden.


No comments: